The little bits of fatback add an extra layer of deliciousness.
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai thin soy sauce
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 4x½-inch strips
- 4 ounces fatback, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Twelve 8" bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour
Bring coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, curry powder, and turmeric to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and simmer until sauce is bubbling and flavors have melded, 10–15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool slightly, then stir in condensed milk. Taste sauce; it should be sweet, salty, and peppery. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Add pork and toss, massaging meat with your hands. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Thread a piece of fatback onto middle of each skewer, then thread on a piece of pork so one end of pork touches fat and other is at pointy end of skewer. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 4 minutes.