- 3 large beets (2 to 2 1/4 pounds)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish
- 4 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets with skin
- 1/4 cup slightly drained prepared white horseradish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
Preheat oven to 425°F. Trim beet tops. Wrap each beet in foil. Roast until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool in foil. Peel beets and grate coarsely.
Blend oil, vinegar and horseradish in large bowl. Mix in beets, cabbage and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cover; chill 2 days, tossing occasionally.
Sprinkle whitefish with salt and pepper. Steam whitefish until opaque in center, about 10 minutes. Cool. Blend mayonnaise, horseradish and chopped tarragon in medium bowl. Flake fish coarsely; fold into dressing. Cover and chill 1 day to blend flavors.
Drain half of coleslaw in sieve (reserve remainder for another use). Line eight 2/3-cup ramekins or custard cups with plastic wrap, leaving overhang. Pack 1/4 cup whitefish salad into 1 side of each ramekin; pack 1/4 cup drained coleslaw next to whitefish. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.
Turn molds out onto plates; peel off plastic.